For Those of Us

Those of us who lose the best thing in our lives
be it your fathers, sisters, husbands or wives

Whichever loss it was that broke you
I remember how it feels, it broke me too

How fleeting is this life
makes one wonder about an afterlife
You never believe that life is this short
check off your bucket list as if it's a sport
You'll never regret a single thing
it's the things left undone that sting
Things left unheard and unseen
when the time comes, make us think Death mean

Another loss and they all flash through your head
it's not the funerals but the silence we dread

Calling their voicemail just to hear their voice
that or going to their grave site is your only choice
Looking at pictures to soothe the tears
never being able to stop is one my fears
Reassuring everyone that you're okay, sounding monotone
trying to be strong, scared you'll turn to stone
Hoping they won't see me break
do they know this smile is fake?
The pain comes in sudden bursts
they're going to miss so many firsts
Accomplishments, weddings, a new life given birth
they'll miss watching you walk this earth
Leaving your own unique footprint
this world, you'll imprint
After you, it will never be the same
everyone will remember your name
With fond memories even through the pain
tears of the soul fall like rain
Everyday there's a new moment you wish to share
knowing there's nothing you can do but stare

After three years, I still talk to my Dad every single day
because there is still so much I wish to say

No matter where he is, I hope he can see
at least now, he can be free
I don't exactly believe in heaven, I believe in something far more profound
a place there is love, forgiveness, choice with night and mist that surround
My Goddess, her dwelling place, where old magick is alive
with her healing touch, maybe his soul can thrive
My hope is that he's at peace in her domain
finally, he gets to live without pain
Even though he's gone
his soul will go on
Whether his body and spirit return to the Earth
 or if She approves his soul for rebirth

If that becomes the case
he can live in a new time, a new place

In his new life with her helping hand
he can do everything that he planned
All the things he never had the time for
he died before he had gotten to see more

He had so much ambition
like he was on a mission
To see everything
the world could bring
Helping those in need
never having any greed
Disability didn't hold him back
never needed anyone to cut him slack
He was dependable and strong
and could admit when he was wrong

Honesty was the key
to help us sift through debris

Our relationship was built on trust
my dad always helped me adjust
To anything I needed help with
to some, reincarnation is a myth
I understand that disbelief
for me this has a comforting relief
Knowing that we all have hope
in hard times to help us cope
My wish is for him to get another chance
that next time, he'll get more than a glance

So many dreams left to pursue
hopefully next time you enjoy the view
In time, most things  heal
we'll survive this ordeal
I hope this puts your mind at ease
knowing they still follow you in the breeze

Or maybe, you'll find them with Her
finally, letting go of who they were

We won't yet know what they'll find
until then, this is For Those Left Behind

Comments

Popular Posts